[cups.general] printer not found and no manual option apparent

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Dec 19 09:17:57 PST 2011

On Dec 19, 2011, at 8:50 AM, Paul Douglas wrote:
>> More than likely the issue is just that the 175 does not support SNMP or has the wrong network configuration (and so isn't responding to the broadcast address(es) used by your computer...)
>
> why then does exactly the same printer work perfectly well with CUPS 1.4 on linux but not 1.5 on FreeBSD?

Linux and FreeBSD are two completely different operating systems with different network stacks. You might try running the CUPS 1.4.x SNMP backend on FreeBSD, but the only substantive change between 1.4 and 1.5's SNMP backends is the addition of IPv6 support.

If you run the 1.5 SNMP backend with the printer's IP address does it report the URI then?

> I installed the printer yesterday, searched for it using CUPS on 2 linux boxes, works fine, fully set up and printing, but CUPS 1.5 says no printer found (despite the DEBUG output below showing that is actually is finding the printer, just not the make/model).  All computers are sending out the same, correct broadcast address and so far as I can see the jetdirect card is responding to all of them, at least with the correct IP address.

If we can't get the "description" property from the device we won't show it.