[cups.general] printer not found and no manual option apparent

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Tue Dec 20 04:40:01 PST 2011

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 01:32:15 -0800
Paul Douglas articulated:

> > > why then does exactly the same printer work perfectly well with
> > > CUPS 1.4 on linux but not 1.5 on FreeBSD?
> >
> > Linux and FreeBSD are two completely different operating systems
> > with different network stacks. You might try running the CUPS 1.4.x
> > SNMP backend on FreeBSD, but the only substantive change between
> > 1.4 and 1.5's SNMP backends is the addition of IPv6 support.
> >
> Ok thank you very much for taking the time to reply; given your
> comments I decided to approach things differently and ignore the
> search and just manually install it as a AppSocket printer, and that
> works fine.
> >
> > If we can't get the "description" property from the device we won't
> > show it.
>
> still not sure what made other versions of cups find it as an unknown
> printer though!

I think your problem is directly related to FreeBSD. I have had all
sorts of problems with CUPS and other utilities/applications when run
under FreeBSD as opposed to Linux. FreeBSD is just not as robust and
certainly not as mature as other OSs, hence the problems that are
constantly encountered.

It might be nice to remember that Postfix was/is developed on FreeBSD
so that its author can correct those idiosyncrasies far more quickly
than developers not familiar with the FreeBSD OS. It might be nice if
the CUPS developers could test CUPS more fully against the FreeBSD OS
prior to its release, but realistically that is not likely to happen.

Like I stated, I still have a Brother MFC-9560CDW that won't work
correctly with CUPS on FreeBSD but will work on Linux. Go figure!

--
Gerard ✌
gerard at seibercom.net

Have you ever considered the irony in the fact that we celebrate
Christ's birthday every year by ignoring the fact that he would have
celebrated Hanukkah?