add header to print jobs

Vincent R. vincent.roels at ngahr.com
Wed Dec 21 05:14:11 PST 2011

> Hello,
> On Dec 20 14:25 Helge Blischke wrote (excerpt):
> > Vincent R.  wrote:
> >>
> >> I am facing a problem that is: we send print jobs to a print server which
> >> handle the layouts to use based on the print queue sent.
> >>
> >> for example : we send a print job from a third party software. CUPS should
> >> then add an header of 10 lines containing on first line the print queue +
> >> the printjob-ID. the 9 remaining lines should contain a 0 (zero) as first
> >> character. based on this the print server knows what template to use.
> >>
> >> is there a way to modify the way cups forward the job to the print server
> >> ? I have checked and I couldn't really find a solution that would meet my
> >> needs.
> >
> > Write a little filter (as a Shell-, Perl-, or Python-script) that does just
> > what you want and force using of this filter by the PPD line:
> > *cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-xxx 0 yourfilter"
> > where xxx denotes the normal final content type (e.g. postscript for PS
> > printers).
>
> For general information how you could do it you may have a look at
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS
>

> Kind Regards
> Johannes Meixner
> --
> SUSE LINUX Products GmbH -- Maxfeldstrasse 5 -- 90409 Nuernberg -- Germany
> HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg) GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendoerffer

Hello Johannes,

thank you for your reply. I have no clue how the filters are working and also I don't know if I will be able to achieve my needs because it is very specific. basically we are migrating from Solaris to Suse linux. I see you are working for novell :-) we have support contracts with novell do you think I can also ask for some help by opening an SR ?

kind regards
Vincent