CUPS with card printer

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed Dec 21 14:02:20 PST 2011

Loris wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> We have an Fargo HDP-5000 card printer and would like to print to it from
> a script.
>
> We want certains part of the card design to be printed with the K color
> (texts, barcodes), and some of the parts with YMC black (pictures).
>
> Is it something that we can do? I would like to know where to start my
> researches, or if a freelancer can do this job.
>
> Many thanks,
> Loris

As the (proprietary) Fargo supplied filter converts cups-raster to the
printer's native format, you could try the following:

(1) replace both the pstoraster and pdftoraster filters by my gstoraster
filter (for safety reasons, don't trash the originals) and adjust the
mime.types and mime.convs accordingly.

(2) edit the filter script as follows:
replace the line 347 reading
push @gsopts, "-dB_W_DEVICE" if (defined $is_b_w && $is_b_w);
by
push @gsopts, "-dB_W_DEVICE";

If that leads to the desired result, you are happy, otherwise I don't know
what to do else.
The problem is that you cannot change the colorspace as defined in the cups
raster header outside the raster header.

Helge