Which model for Laserjet 6MP

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Sat Dec 24 04:24:14 PST 2011

tj wrote:

> I am trying to install an HP Laserjet 6MP using a USB to parallel
> converter. I go to localhost:631 and scan for printers and it is found, at
> least it comes up in Local Printers, along with HP Printer (HPLIB) & HP
> Fax (HPLIB), I select it and go on and the Name and  Description are
> already filled in and it is listed as usb://HP/LaserJet%206MP and I hit
> continue. I am now presented with four possible selections under Model: HP
> Laserjet 6MP - CUPS+Gutenprint V5.2.5(en) HP Laserjet 6MP -
> CUPS+Gutenprint V5.2.5 Simplified(en) HP Laserjet 6MP -
> Foomatic/Postscript(en) HP Laserjet 6mp hpijs pcl3, 3.10.2(en)
>
> or pick a PPD file
>
> Which do I need to pick? and, how would I know which one to pick not being
> an  expert, or any where close to it, on CUPS.
>
> Oh yeah, CUP 1.4.3
>
> tj

I'd suggest to chose one of the last two you mentioned. In case of your
chose the PostScript variant, I could send you the PPD originally supplied
by HP (it is closer to the real properties of the printer than the foomatic
one).
But be aware that the default builtin memory is only about 800K for
PostScript virtual memory - unless you have installed additional memory
chips.

Helge