Ubuntu 11.10/BrotherHL2240D/ printer does not print any more

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Mon Dec 26 09:53:23 PST 2011

http://home.arcor.de/os2five/forum/openSUSE121_CUPS150_brotherDCP585CW_error_log

> i hope you find a solution!

The wiki

http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Brother/Drucker

tells to install the brother printer using the brother installation tools
after setting up cups.

Moreover, I suspect that the brlpdwrapperxxxxxx filter(s) expect a
PostScript file as input (they use the original print file, i. e. the
dxxxxx-001 file in /var/spool/cups). But the testpage file in CUPS 1.5 is a
cups-command file, and I suspect the brother filter(s) don't know what to do
with it.

For further investigation, please post the brlpdwrapperdcp585cw filter and
the respective filter in /usr/local/Brother/lpd/filter/ .

Helge

P.S.: openprinting.org tags this printer as a "paperweight".