Ubuntu 11.10/HP LaserJet 1200/ printer does not print any more

rpr rpr.nospam at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 15:26:50 PST 2011

After upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10 I'm not able to print successfully to a
HP LaserJet 1200 connected via local USB port.

The printer was first installed on Ubuntu 10.10 and worked fine, also
after upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04. Moreover I tested printing to the printer
from a dual boot PC: printing works fine when booted in Windows XP but
in Ubuntu 11.10 it does not work.

Versions of packages:

Linux 3.0.0-15-generic #24-Ubuntu SMP Mon Dec 12 15:23:55 UTC 2011 x86_64
cups 1.5.0-8ubuntu6
hplip-cups 3.11.7-1ubuntu3.1

Here are the results of some test I've made:

(1) Driver selected in CUPS: HP LaserJet 1200 Foomatic/pxlmono (the
default chosen by CUPS)
Print test page: Green light on the printer starts blinking as if the
printer is receiving data and after a few minutes the blinking turns
off but the test page does not get printed.
/etc/cups : http://tinyurl.com/c8ykxvx
/var/log/cups/error_log : http://tinyurl.com/cdtpz25

(2) Driver selected in CUPS: HP LaserJet 1200 Foomatic/Postscript
Print test page: Green light on the printer starts blinking and after
a few minutes (not seconds) the test page gets printed but some
elements are missing from it. Additional page gets printed containing
the following text:

ERROR
timeout
OFFENDING COMMAND:
timeout
STACK:
-mark-
-mark-
-mark-

/etc/cups : http://tinyurl.com/cw4x879
/var/log/cups/error_log : http://tinyurl.com/76r5xcf

(3) Driver selected in CUPS: HP LaserJet 1200 Foomatic/ljet4
Print test page: Green light on the printer starts blinking and after
a few seconds the test page gets printed but it is not complete: the
last few rows of pixels are missing at the end of the printed page.
The same effect I get if I print a few lines of text from LibreOffice.
/etc/cups : http://tinyurl.com/6q7o9ze
/var/log/cups/error_log : http://tinyurl.com/6sul23e

Dear CUPS developers, please fix this issue ASAP (it seems I'm not the
only one with broken printing after upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10).

-- rpr.