HELP - Just want a driver for a Zebra LP 2844

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed Dec 28 08:34:13 PST 2011

Kathy Walker wrote:

> I'm not a developer ... everything here is beyond me.  I'm on a MAC (Lion)
> using Parallels 7 with a Windows 7 Virtual Machine (upgraded from
> Parallels 6 with an XP VM).  We use the VM only for UPS Worldship software
> which requires printing to a Zebra LP 2844 (shipping labels).  Worked fine
> with Parallels 6 & Windows XP.
>
> All information indicates that I need an updated driver for Windows 7
> which I downloaded and installed on the VM ... didn't work.
>
> Someone suggested putting a driver on the MAC (like all of our other
> printers).
>
> So, I need a driver for the printer for MAC.  I went to Zebra.com for
> this.  It pointed me to CUPS.  But I don't understand anything here.
>
> What, exactly, should I do?  Is it really this difficult.  I just want a
> simple driver that works.
>
> kwalker at bradleyproducts.com
>
> Kathy

I suspect your printer is connected to your hardware via USB. From Parallels
6 to Parallels 7 the handling of virutalized USB ports has changed and is
more configurable. If in doubt, get halp from your IT gurus.
Be aware of one possible pitfall with Parallels 7:
At least the desktop version has a maximum of 32 USB ports, and if you
configure "to use all Mac printers", these ports are all used if the number
of printers connected to the hosting Mac OS is greater than 31.

I suspect you could (1) disable the "use all Mac printers", then statically
install and configure your Zebra printer on your Windows 7, and then
possibly re-enable the "use all Mac printers".

Good luck

Helge