Bonjour publishing from Linux

Cedric King cedbobking at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 28 15:49:39 PST 2011

We have netatalk/avahi file servers based on CentOS 5.7 and 6.1 which work great. The next goal is to have them auto-magically share out printers to Snow Leopard and Lion clients. I've done a great deal of Googling but cannot get it to work. Basically we'd like it to work as if they were shared off a Mac: from the client machine System Preferences > Print & Fax > Add Printer > Default where all the Bonjour printers seem to show up.

Since CentOS still runs cups-1.3.x, I have used rpmbuild to create cups-1.4.8 and cups-1.5.0 x86_64 rpms from the sources from cups.org/software.php that seem to install and work just fine for printing from the local system. However when I go to administer them I cannot get dnssd to show as an share printers protocol in http://localhost:631/admin despite what I put in cupsd.conf. I also do not see dnssd in /usr/lib/cups/backend/

Does CUPS work with Avahi? Is there another Bonjour server that we could install in CentOS that would work?

If someone could point me in a useful direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Cedric