[cups.general] Help with PostScript

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Thu Dec 29 11:46:26 PST 2011

ALi wrote:

> Although i know that this is not too related with cups .... i will ask
> here so if somebody can help me
>
> I have a ps that is generated with eclipse birt so i can send it directly
> to the printer without using acrobat (or any other) to parse it to ps. But
> the pdf is slightly different from the ps, the ps is worse due to the
> fonts
> :S. Must the fonts be included into ps? are we generating bad the pdf? (we
> only change pdf to ps in output).
>
> Can anybody help me? do cups need to add the path to the fonts? the fonts
> are well i think.
>
> The files are attached
>

> Thank you and happy new year to all people

(1) Your PDF requests the following fonts:
    Times-Roman
    Times-Bold
    Times-Italic
    but these fonts are not embedded in the PDF.

(2) Your PostScript file requests and contains the fonts
    LucidaSans-Typewriter
    LucidaSans-TypewriterBold

I have no Idea why ecliplse birt uses different fonts for PDF and PS.

(3) CUPS converts PDF to PS by itself, but how (i.e. using which utilities)
depends on the version of CUPS and the operating system distro.

Therefore, to supply more help, I'd need more information.

Helge