[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3991: Incorrect ipv6 address representation

Rene Hogendoorn rene.hogendoorn at rmer.nl
Thu Dec 8 06:03:08 PST 2011

[STR New]

CUPS generates ipv6 addresses as [v1.2001:610:76d:0:219:66ff:feb2:1624]
rather than [2001:610:76d:0:219:66ff:feb2:1624], i.e. they are prefixed
with 'v1.'. Such addresses are not understood by any browser, I am aware
of.
The generation of these prefixed addresses seems to be based on a proposal
by Fenner http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-fenner-literal-zone.
This proposal was already obsoleted in 2006.
The latest proposal is Carpenter
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-carpenter-6man-uri-zoneid-00 that is on
the standards track and does not use prefixes.
Please, remove, at least, the 'v1.' prefixes from the ipv6 representation.
As far as I can see in the code, the zones used are the default zones
anyway; so they are not even appended to the current representation. This,
at least, helps by not having to edit each and every URL that includes an
ipv6 address.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3991
Version: 1.5.0