[cups.general] local printer and client.conf

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Feb 2 00:54:13 PST 2011

Hello,

On Feb 1 08:42 Ivan Degtyarenko wrote (shortened):
> ... I was afraid of, that client.conf need to be empty
> otherwise everything to be sent to the remote server.
> That means one has to separately configure every machine
> with the local printer connected.

For local connected USB printers you have to configure them
separately on every machine in any case (regardless of stuff
like client.conf) because the device URI of USB printers
looks like
   usb://ACME/FunPrinter%201000?serial=A1B2C3
i.e. there is the serial number of the particular
USB printer device included, see "The Backends" at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

The serial number is needed so that the backend is able
to distinguish between two same USB printer models which
are connected to the same machine.
Think about two same USB printer models but only one of them
has a duplex unit so that it is crucial to send print jobs
which should print out in duplex mode to the exact right
USB printer device.

Because of the serial number you cannot know a USB printer
device URI in advance so that you cannot set up a print queue
for a USB printer with some kind of predefined device URI.

To set up a USB printer, you must connect the particular USB
printer device to the machine so that the backend can autodetect
its right particular device URI and then you must use this
exact device URI to set up the print queue for this particular
USB printer device, see "How to set up a print queue in full
compliance with CUPS" at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner