local printer and client.conf

Ivan Degtyarenko ivan.degtyarenko at aalto.fi
Wed Feb 2 01:36:54 PST 2011

> On Feb 1 08:42 Ivan Degtyarenko wrote (shortened):
> > ... I was afraid of, that client.conf need to be empty
> > otherwise everything to be sent to the remote server.
> > That means one has to separately configure every machine
> > with the local printer connected.
>
> For local connected USB printers you have to configure them
> separately on every machine in any case (regardless of stuff
> like client.conf) because the device URI of USB printers
> looks like

the situation about local USB printer is perfectly clear. I have got it configured and tested with no problems when client.conf is empty. What I meant by "... one has to separately configure every machine with the local printer connected" is that in addition to locally configured USB, I can't say to CUPS "pick up the rest from the remote server" but I will have to configure all the other network printers around our office by hand specifically for this machine with the local USB printer and empty client.conf. Only this.

Thank you for the explanations anyway!

YT, Ivan