difficulties with remote printer

Ilan Tal ilan.tal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 05:26:14 PST 2011

Tim,
I too suspected it had to do with samba and thus I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. I did the same thing on something else when I lost control and had to format the root disk.
If I formatted the "/" disk then I should have a totally new copy of samba where I erased all history, which could have had some errors. So it has to be pretty close to the default configuration of samba.

Even though I agree that it shouldn't be hardware, I unplugged my SATA disk with Ubuntu and put in an old IDE on which I put XP. Initially I forgot to share the printer so it didn't appear. After I shared it, it appeared both on my laptop as well as on my wife's XP.

Once I confirmed my sanity I removed the IDE disk and returned to my Ubuntu. I still see nothing when I try to Add a printer. I choose Network Printer -> Windows Printer via SAMBA -> Browse. Ilan-main appears but there are no printers under it. Somehow SAMBA doesn't seem to know it is shared. My laptop will pick it up but NOT by using SAMBA.
I really have no idea what to do next.

Ilan