cupsd starts manually, but not on boot (init.d) - how to debug?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Mon Feb 7 03:22:44 PST 2011

H. Passer wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have CUPS 1.4.2 installed and a strange problem: If I start cups
> manually using
>
> /opt/etc/init.d/cupsd start
>
> then everything is fine. But cups is not started at boot time. I know
> that the above mentioned script is executed for I've put some
>
> echo "cupstest" >> /tmp/cups-test.txt
>
> in there. I also do
>
> echo `/opt/usr/sbin/cupsd -c /opt/etc/cups/cupsd.conf` >>
> /tmp/cups-test.txt
>
> but the result is empty. In cupsd.conf I defined an ErrorLog file (and
> LogLevel debug2), but it is not even created. I'm trying all this in
> OpenWrt.
>
> Can anyone give me a hint how to do do further debuging? Or does anybody
> already know what's wrong?
>
> Greets!
> Helge

I don't know the details of OpenWrt, but as is is a Linux descendant, I
suppose there is a configuration file or database which specifies what
services to start in what runlevel. There should be a configuration tool
(like chkconfig in most Linux distos).

Make sure that cups gets started in the runlevel you have specified.

Helge