Generating PPD files to add parameter

Antony Gelberg antony.gelberg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 08:06:46 PST 2011

I understand that I need to add *cupsSNMPSupplies: false to my printer PPD file in order to avoid a 5-second SNMP timeout whenever I send a print job.  However, I don't have any PPD file for the printer in question - it is a simple text receipt printer with an Ethernet interface.  In printers.conf it looks like:
<Printer Epsilon>
Info Epsilon
MakeModel Generic text-only printer
DeviceURI socket://192.168.21.21:9100
State Idle
StateTime 1292242101
Type 4100
Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
Filter text/plain 0 textonly
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

How do I go about generating a suitable PPD file?  I have browsed the documentation but it seems that I can't find what I'm looking for on this.  As an aside, how is CUPS even able to print to the printer without a PPD file?

Very grateful for any assistance.

Antony