Apple Mac OS X Snow Leopard to CUPS: printer always pauses

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Fri Feb 11 07:44:17 PST 2011

I can use lpr in a terminal on a MacBook Pro to send a PDF or PS file to a CUPS 1.4.6 print queue that is in state "(Idle, Accepting Jobs, Shared)" and it works just fine.  But if I go into the MacBook's System Preferences and add a new IPP printer to go to that same IP address and queue, the new IPP printer (as indicated on the MacBook) just goes into "pause" mode when I try to print something.  If I hit the "Resume Printer" button in the printer control dialox box, it goes right back to paused after a second or so.