[cups.general] SSL produces intermittent printer outage

Martin Schuster (IFKL IT OS DS CD) Martin.Schuster1 at infineon.com
Mon Feb 14 04:51:43 PST 2011

On 02/13/2011 01:51 AM, John A.Sullivan III wrote:
> [...]
> did you mean -o /dev/random rather than -r /dev/random?

-r /dev/random  makes no sense at all, you are right.
But -o /dev/random is the default anyway, so
rngd -r /dev/urandom
alone should suffice.

Don't know where that "-r /dev/random" comes from (it's in the
init-script), most likely a typo/braino.

> [...] To address this until we obtain some form of hardware RNG, we have used an ugly rngd hack which runs rngd and tells it to use the non-blocking /dev/urandom to feed the entropy pools.  That is a theoretical security compromise although there are no published exploits.

Exactly, that's why I said "Try if running rngd helps" -- it might not
be a good long-term solution :)

cheers,
Infineon Technologies IT-Services GmbH   Martin.Schuster1 at infineon.com
Lakeside B05, 9020 Klagenfurt, Austria   Martin Schuster
         FB: LG Klagenfurt, FN 246787y   +43 5 1777 3517