SSL produces intermittent printer outage

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Tue Feb 15 14:02:23 PST 2011

> --00163628410c4e4774049c18dd65
>
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 4:31 PM, John A. Sullivan III <
> jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com> wrote:
>
> > All the apps are running elsewhere.  The print server only handles
> > printing.  All the client.conf files are set to:
> >
> > ServerName print01.pacifera.com:931
> > Encryption Always
> >
> > I see nothing at all in error_log at that time.  Occasionally, I see:
> > SSL shutdown failed: Error in the push function.
> >
> > But not when we are having the problem.  Am I looking at the wrong log? I
> > don't see anything pertinent in access_log either.  Thanks - John
> >

> Assuming I have understood your original post correctly, I have heard of
> similar complaints.  In our case, the client initially connects to the
> server and receives the standard redirect for an SSL connection.  For some
> reason, it a few cases, rather than reconnecting, the client just hangs up.
>
> Have you taken a packet capture of the problem?
<snip>
It looks like we will have to reopen this issue.  We corrected the very real entropy problem but still have randomly missing printers.  I should clarify that  - specifically all printers going missing at once - not individual printers fading in and out.

The problem corrects itself very quickly so every time I set up a packet trace, the problem is gone.  The problem is also highly intermittent and I have not found a way to provoke it so I cannot create the condition while tracing.  Any other suggestions, fixes, thoughts? Thanks - John