Problems setting up the deviceURI

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Wed Feb 16 13:25:09 PST 2011

Hi,

This problem is specific to the CUPS server included in the Mac server distro.

We are using a Mac Mini running 10.6.6 as a print server and it's working just fine. But now I'm trying to add printers incorporated into our print cost accounting system and that's not working.

Basically, I have a pseudo backend written in perl that does an SNMP query to the printer to get the page, sends the printjob via the real backend and then again gets the page count. The formt of the deviceURI is: accsnmp://socket://10.169.6.60:9100.  I'm also running CUPS on a Linux server and that format works just fine. But when I try to use this same format with CUPS on the Mac using the CUPS webgui, I get the error "Bad device-uri".

Any idea how I get around this?

Thanks,

Rob Tanner
Linfield College