Setup CUPS-1.4.6 in Solaris 10?

dickson iswslui at ust.hk
Thu Feb 17 19:53:24 PST 2011

> dickson wrote:
>
> > recap my current printing problem in a dot matrix printer:
> >
> > case 1. print a pdf (without embedded Chinese font), fails and no print
> > out.
> > case 2. print a pdf (with embedded Chinese font), can print it out.
> > case 3. print a plain text (UTF-8 Chinese characters), only print out
> > strange character in the printout.
> >
> > (About the details and logging, please view my previous message)
> >
> > I need to fix the problem in Case 1 first and then go on to solve the
> > problem in Case 3. Thanks anyone's help in advance.
>
> From the latest error_log in your last message I see that your pdftops
> filter is configured to use Ghostscript for the PDF to PostScript
> conversion. And this invocation of Ghostscript does not contain the -I
> switch. Moreover, this invocation uses Ghostscript's pswrite device which
> causes all glyphs of all fonts to be converted to bitmaps.
>
> To solve your case 1 ptoblem, I'd suggest to implement the Xpdf utilities
> from
> http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html
> and use the alternate pdftops filter (which is a Perl wrapper around the
> Xpdf utility) from
> http://www.cups.org/links.php?V70+Qpdftops
> Together with the already modified pstoraster filter, this approach should
> do it.

I'm confused. Actually, which filter or how many filter for this PDF-to-PS conversion in CUPS. When I read the overview of CUPS, I think that is useful and ease to use. Now I feel difficult and complicated. Also, I wonder why some filter are script and other are executable (such like pdftops). I want to keep using Ghostscript. Therefore, I will recompile Ghostscript 9.00 that can include the font mapping. And try it again.

> If you will have succeeded, let us go to your case 3 and tweak the cups'
> utf-8 charset file using a suitable chinese font.

What's wrong? Supportedly, should it automatically convert UTF-8(Chinese charater) to ps and then print it out. Is it right?