Setup CUPS-1.4.6 in Solaris 10?

dickson iswslui at ust.hk
Fri Feb 18 01:36:57 PST 2011

> > dickson wrote:
> >
> > > recap my current printing problem in a dot matrix printer:
> > >
> > > case 1. print a pdf (without embedded Chinese font), fails and no print
> > > out.
> > > case 2. print a pdf (with embedded Chinese font), can print it out.
> > > case 3. print a plain text (UTF-8 Chinese characters), only print out
> > > strange character in the printout.
> > >
> > > (About the details and logging, please view my previous message)
> > >
> > > I need to fix the problem in Case 1 first and then go on to solve the
> > > problem in Case 3. Thanks anyone's help in advance.
> >
> > From the latest error_log in your last message I see that your pdftops
> > filter is configured to use Ghostscript for the PDF to PostScript
> > conversion. And this invocation of Ghostscript does not contain the -I
> > switch. Moreover, this invocation uses Ghostscript's pswrite device which
> > causes all glyphs of all fonts to be converted to bitmaps.
> >
> > To solve your case 1 ptoblem, I'd suggest to implement the Xpdf utilities
> > from
> > http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html
> > and use the alternate pdftops filter (which is a Perl wrapper around the
> > Xpdf utility) from
> > http://www.cups.org/links.php?V70+Qpdftops
> > Together with the already modified pstoraster filter, this approach should
> > do it.
> >

> I'm confused. Actually, which filter or how many filter for this PDF-to-PS conversion in CUPS. When I read the overview of CUPS, I think that is useful and ease to use. Now I feel difficult and complicated. Also, I wonder why some filter are script and other are executable (such like pdftops). I want to keep using Ghostscript. Therefore, I will recompile Ghostscript 9.00 that can include the font mapping. And try it again.

After recompile GS that include the font mapping, CUPS can print the pdf (without embedded font) to EPSON dot matrix printer finally. Should go Case 3 - plain text file.

> > If you will have succeeded, let us go to your case 3 and tweak the cups'
> > utf-8 charset file using a suitable chinese font.

For case 3, how can CUPS realize which charset the target document use? As I know, cups depends on the file extension to use other filter (texttops, pdftops, ...etc) to do conversion. Any idea to solve this case?