[cups.general] CUPS and IPPrinters

Berend De Schouwer berend.deschouwer at ucs-software.co.za
Mon Feb 21 04:34:00 PST 2011

On 21/02/2011 11:18, Damadomu wrote:
> I have two IPprinters connected to the LAN (192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101, both with netmask 255.255.255.0) and I need to manage them via CUPS (using a Linux box, perhaps "Fedora 14" or "openSuSE 11.3") to catch their errors and empty the corresponding queue if needed.
>
> Does anybody have an idea on how to do this?
> I can change the IP of the printers and, if necessary, create a multi-IP Linux box, so the print requests can be intercepted by CUPS... and then?

By default they will be LPD (515/tcp) or Jetdirect (9100/tcp) servers.
You want to try the lpd:// or socket:// backends.

For example, setup the one as lpadmin -p TEST -v
socket://192.168.1.100:9100/ and test using date | lpr -PTEST.  Then see
if it prints the date.

If it doesn't work, try lpadmin -p TEST -v lpd://192.168.1.100/ and try
again.

To print non-text (PDF, etc.) look for the right printer driver, or try
the GUI printer administration tool and set it as a socket:// printer.

I hope that helps,
Berend

I apologise for the disclaimer

The contents of and attachments to this e-mail are intended for the addressee only, and may contain the confidential information of UCS Group and/or its subsidiaries.  Any review, use or dissemination thereof by anyone other than the intended addressee is prohibited.  If you are not the intended addressee please notify the writer immediately and destroy the e-mail.  UCS Group Limited and its subsidiaries distance themselves from and accept no liability for unauthorised use of their e-mail facilities or e-mails sent other than strictly for business purposes.