Defining a custom page size

Daniel daniel at dwlamb.com
Mon Feb 21 09:48:36 PST 2011

Good day,

Could someone give me a simple walk-through for how to set a custom page-size using the GUI at http://localhost:631/

Assume I know nothing about CUPS for I don't and the way the documentation is laid out there is no logic for a newb to follow.  There are learning curves and then there are vertical walls.  The documentation for CUPS fits the latter.

I am frustrated as heck with how to customise printer definitions under Linux.  Windows may be a bad operating system in many ways but the way it is possible to set custom page sizes in that OS is a lot easier than anything I've seen in Linux so far.  That goes for using a suite like OpenOffice 3.1.

It shouldn't take an hour or more to find out how to set-up a page-size for 5.5"x8.5" and have a document print on that page-size.  Under Windows I can specify those dimensions in any application and *BAM* that is what the printer puts out.

Why can't it be that easy in CUPS or any Linux printer definition?  Often called Statement, the above mentioned page dimension is not uncommon.  It has been around for years.  Commonly it is used for Daytimer and other planning diaries or notebooks.  Why hasn't this page size been incorporated if the default list like A4, Letter, Legal, etc.?

I appreciate your time taken to read this.  Thank you for that and any help you can offer.

Daniel