Setup sharing printer?

dickson iswslui at ust.hk
Tue Feb 22 18:57:46 PST 2011

Hi all,
I want to verify my understanding about sharing printer in CUPS-1.4.6.

Q1 : I install CUPS-1.4.6 in a Solaris Server "Ser1" and setup several printers (with shared option). In other server "Ser2"( Linux or Solaris ), can I just use ipp to mount that target shared printer without installing cups again?

Q2 : If answer for Q1 is "Yes", why do I just get a cover page and a strange character page (printer defined in server "Ser1") when I print a pdf in server "Ser2"?

Q3 : In server "Ser1", I locally print a file that won't print a cover page. Why do I print a file from server "Ser2" that will get a cover page? How can I stop/disable this cover page?

Thanks for any help.