Setup sharing printer?

dickson iswslui at ust.hk
Tue Feb 22 20:26:34 PST 2011

> Hi all,
> I want to verify my understanding about sharing printer in CUPS-1.4.6.
>
> Q1 : I install CUPS-1.4.6 in a Solaris Server "Ser1" and setup several printers (with shared option). In other server "Ser2"( Linux or Solaris ), can I just use ipp to mount that target shared printer without installing cups again?
>
> Q2 : If answer for Q1 is "Yes", why do I just get a cover page and a strange character page (printer defined in server "Ser1") when I print a pdf in server "Ser2"?
>
> Q3 : In server "Ser1", I locally print a file that won't print a cover page. Why do I print a file from server "Ser2" that will get a cover page? How can I stop/disable this cover page?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Q4 : About work flow of printing in a shared printer, please verify the printing steps as below:
     a) run a print command locally to print a document in a shared printer
     b) do the rendering locally first
     c) send the "rendering done" document file to a shared printer
     d) the cups server with that shared printer get the print job and directly send it to the printer without doing any extra processing
      Is it right?