Creating a prn file from CUPS

phaemon seumas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 02:34:34 PST 2011

> If you like to see in Linux what the printer driver software
> produces, set in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf "FileDevice Yes"
> and restart the cupsd.
> See the security note regarding "FileDevice" at
> http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/ref-cupsd-conf.html
>
> Set up a new queue using the same driver (i.e. the same
> PPD file) but a device URI of the form file:/filename.
>
> Then print from the end-user application program via this
> new queue and the final printer-specific data will appear
> in the filename of the above file device URI.

Many thanks Johannes, this is exactly what I was looking for. I could find options of printing to file, but couldn't figure out how to see what the PPD I'm using is actually producing. It's for a printer that uses account ids to print (Sharp MX-4100N). I'm sure it *should* work, but it doesn't, so I'm trying to figure out why. Unfortunately I don't know all that much about printing, so it's an uphill struggle.

Thanks again for your help!