page_log redirection

Dhritiman dedhritiman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 23:33:02 PST 2011

Hi,

In our lab, we have a HP Lasertjet printer connected to 1 machine (server) and it is shared with all other machines in the lab (clients). We wanted to have a
simple page_log accounting scheme whereby we would have the number of pages
printed by each user. The page_log file has all the info that we want. Unfortunately the page_log s are distributed. That is when a client machine
issues a print command, then the page_log information is logged in the /var/log/cups/page_log file of the CLIENT machine rather than the server machine. This
is a problem, as for accounting we would have to look at the logs in all the
machines. We would rather have the logs in one machine (ie., the server machine),
so that our accounting script can work on the page_log file on that machine only.

Can cups be configured somehow, so that all the page_logs are logged in the
server machine (where the printer is attached) ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

P.S.: As a different question, does cups provide any other facility for page
accounting apart from page_log file ?