sharing network printer (socket or LPD) between CUPS and Solaris lpsched

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Fri Feb 25 00:30:52 PST 2011

Hello,

Is there some safe way to share a network printer (either on raw 9100 or LPD) between the CUPS daemon and the traditional Solaris lpsched?

I see that, for example, I can telnet two times to the same printer to port 515 (LPD) without getting a connection refused RST for the 2nd session, which let me think in unforseen results when two daemons send over a print job to the same printer.

Any ideas/comments on that? Thanks in advance

    Matthias

--
http://www.unixarea.de/