[cups.general] sharing network printer (socket or LPD) between CUPS and Solaris lpsched

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Feb 25 04:12:08 PST 2011

Hello,

On Feb 25 00:30 Matthias Apitz wrote (excerpt):
> Is there some safe way to share a network printer
> (either on raw 9100 or LPD) between the CUPS daemon
> and the traditional Solaris lpsched?
>
> I see that, for example, I can telnet two times
> to the same printer to port 515 (LPD) without getting
> a connection refused RST for the 2nd session,
> which let me think in unforseen results when two daemons
> send over a print job to the same printer.

It totally depends on how the recipient is implemented
in the network which depends on the particular network
printer model and its firmware version.

To get hard facts, you may have to contact the manufacturer
of your particular network printer model.

You may have a look at
"Network printer or printserver box does not work reliably" in
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_via_TCP/IP_network

CUPS can receive print jobs from traditional LPD servers
via its cups-lpd mini-server, see "man cups-lpd".
You may have a look at the somewhat related article
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_from_Windows_to_Linux
in particular to decide whether or not "raw printing" should
be done and "Via LPD protocol to a CUPS print server".

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex