[cups.general] page_log redirection

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Feb 25 08:26:07 PST 2011

On Feb 24, 2011, at 11:33 PM, Dhritiman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In our lab, we have a HP Lasertjet printer connected to 1 machine (server) and it is shared with all other machines in the lab (clients). We wanted to have a
> simple page_log accounting scheme whereby we would have the number of pages
> printed by each user. The page_log file has all the info that we want. Unfortunately the page_log s are distributed. That is when a client machine
> issues a print command, then the page_log information is logged in the /var/log/cups/page_log file of the CLIENT machine rather than the server machine. This
> is a problem, as for accounting we would have to look at the logs in all the
> machines. We would rather have the logs in one machine (ie., the server machine),
> so that our accounting script can work on the page_log file on that machine only.

Make sure your client machines do not have local drivers (look in /etc/cups/ppd).

> Can cups be configured somehow, so that all the page_logs are logged in the
> server machine (where the printer is attached) ?

Yes, when you use browsing or local "raw" queues pointing at the server, all of the filtering (and thus all of the page logging) will happen on the server.

There are several third-party add-ons for this (see http://www.cups.org/links.php) and you can also query CUPS directly to get the page counts and print options (although that requires you keep more job history...)