[cups.general] Setup sharing printer?

Bryan Mason bmason at redhat.com
Fri Feb 25 09:47:33 PST 2011

On 02/24/2011 01:31 AM, dickson wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I want to verify my understanding about sharing printer in
>>> CUPS-1.4.6.
>>>
>>> Q1 : I install CUPS-1.4.6 in a Solaris Server "Ser1" and setup
>>> several printers (with shared option). In other server "Ser2"(
>>> Linux or Solaris ), can I just use ipp to mount that target shared
>>> printer without installing cups again?

CUPS should be installed on both systems (server "Ser1" and client
"Ser2").  The printer will need to be added to the client ("Ser2") or
BrowsePoll will need to be added to the client's CUPS configuration file.

See http://cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/sharing.html

>>> Q2 : If answer for Q1 is "Yes", why do I just get a cover page and
>>> a strange character page (printer defined in server "Ser1") when I
>>> print a pdf in server "Ser2"?
>>>
>>> Q3 : In server "Ser1", I locally print a file that won't print a
>>> cover page. Why do I print a file from server "Ser2" that will get
>>> a cover page? How can I stop/disable this cover page?

I think this is covered in the following documentation

     http://cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/man-lpadmin.html

look for "job-sheets-default".  I've never used cover pages myself, but
it looks like the right option to me.  You can also change this option
using the CUPS Web UI (http://<hostname>:631/).

>> Q4 : About work flow of printing in a shared printer, please verify
>> the printing steps as below:
>>       a) run a print command locally to print a document in a shared printer
>>       b) do the rendering locally first
>>       c) send the "rendering done" document file to a shared printer
>>       d) the cups server with that shared printer get the print job
>>       and directly send it to the printer without doing any extra
>>       processing
>>        Is it right?

That's a good question that I've never completely understood.  Hopefully
someone else will comment on that.

~ Bryan