Problems with ?compression=gzip and Windows CUPS driver

Aurimas FiĊĦeras aurimas at members.fsf.org
Thu Jan 6 07:57:21 PST 2011

Hello,
we have issues with CUPS 1.4.x on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and later, when attempting
to use an IPP URL with the "?compression=gzip" argument.

Situation is very similar to:
http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?s1+gcups.general+v2+T+Qcompression%3Dgzip

<---- Main Office ---->    <-WAN->  <------- Remote Office ------->
  ----------    --------            --------    -------------------
  | w2k3 64| -> | CUPS |    --->    | CUPS | -> |     printer     |
  ----------    --------            --------    -------------------

1. Original   Generic/Text   ipp   Generic/Text
  win driver
Result: Compression works

2.  CUPS      Linux driver   ipp   Generic/Text
   driver+
 MS PostScript
Result: No compression

Why is there no compression when using a second scenario?

We have to use a second variant in several remote offices since there are no
64-bit Windows drivers for some of the printers we still use.