Canon Pixma MG6150 Install pstocanonij file

Roy Read problem at royread.net
Thu Jan 6 13:42:53 PST 2011

Hello,

I am not a 'printer person' being very happy to just run off the occasional
invoice and letter on a printer that just works.  At the moment I have a
problem which can probably be solved by guesswork but I would prefer to get it
sorted hopefully quickly so I can get on with other things.

The problem is a Canon Pixma MG6150 printer which Mac-centric associates insist
I use.

Canon have Released a driver for this machine which I have downloaded.  I have
installed the PPD file OK but the printer does not work as I get the error
message that file pstocanonij is missing.  It does exist as part of the
download package but on further reading of the instructions it has to be
installed using make.

My problem is where to put this pstocanonij file.  I am running Kubuntu 10.04
LTS.  The installation instructions indicate it should go in /libs which is a
bit vague as investigation shows that there are a number of /libs in the file
system which may or may not be to do with printing, including one in CUPS.  I
have read the PPD file which has the line

*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 pstocanonij"

which has confused me further as I would have expected the path to be
/libs/.... but then I am not a printer person.  I also take it that the * at
the start of every line in the PPD file does not make that line a comment?

Could some kind person suggest where this file should be installed?

Thanks very much

Roy