Canon Pixma MG6150 Install pstocanonij file

Roy Read problem at royread.net
Fri Jan 7 13:17:44 PST 2011

> Roy Read wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am not a 'printer person' being very happy to just run off the
> > occasional
> > invoice and letter on a printer that just works.  At the moment I have a
> > problem which can probably be solved by guesswork but I would prefer to
> > get it sorted hopefully quickly so I can get on with other things.
> >
> > The problem is a Canon Pixma MG6150 printer which Mac-centric associates
> > insist I use.
> >
> > Canon have Released a driver for this machine which I have downloaded.  I
> > have installed the PPD file OK but the printer does not work as I get the
> > error
> > message that file pstocanonij is missing.  It does exist as part of the
> > download package but on further reading of the instructions it has to be
> > installed using make.
> >
> > My problem is where to put this pstocanonij file.  I am running Kubuntu
> > 10.04
> > LTS.  The installation instructions indicate it should go in /libs which
> > is a bit vague as investigation shows that there are a number of /libs in
> > the file
> > system which may or may not be to do with printing, including one in CUPS.
> >  I have read the PPD file which has the line
> >
> > *cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 pstocanonij"
> >
> > which has confused me further as I would have expected the path to be
> > /libs/.... but then I am not a printer person.  I also take it that the *
> > at the start of every line in the PPD file does not make that line a
> > comment?
> >
> > Could some kind person suggest where this file should be installed?
> >
> > Thanks very much
> >
> > Roy
>
> I guess the destination directory should be
> /usr/lib/cups/filter/
>
> Verify that the other CUPS filters are in that directory (such as pdftops,
> pstops, etc.). If yes, move your pstocanonij there.
>
> If not, do a
> locate pstops
> or similar to determine the destination directory and move your filter
> there.
>
> Helge

Helge,

Thanks very much for your help.  Had a look at the locations you suggested and it all made sense.  Went back to the canon source but the make file came up with so many errors and warnings I have given up for now, ye gods it discovered 5 instances of missing brackets ")"!
I have to say this is my first experience with a canon printer and I am very sure it will be my last.

Regards

Roy