[cups.general] CUPS - Defining a Develop Ineo 220+

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Jan 11 03:03:13 PST 2011

Hello,

On Jan 9 08:31 Stefan wrote (shortened):
> Installing the Printer from the CommandLine :
>
> /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p INEO220 -E -v socket://10.0.0.188:9100
> -m /etc/cups36C-1G.PPD
>
> Gets me (/var/log/cups/error_log) [shrinked output, for your happiness]
>
> CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized
> copy_model: empty PPD file!
> [cups-driverd] Bad PPD name "/etc/cups/36C-1G.PPD"!

See "man lpadmin":
  -m model
       Sets a standard System V interface script or PPD file
       from the model directory.
  -P ppd-file
       Specifies a PostScript Printer Description file
       to use with the printer.

I assume "/etc/" is not your particular CUPS model directory.
The usual one is something like /usr/share/cups/model/.

FYI
(from http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell):
How to set up a print queue in full compliance with CUPS:

  1. Retrieve autodetected printers and their correct
     matching DeviceURIs from the cupsd:
     Run (as root) "lpinfo -l -v"
  2. Retrieve available printer driver descriptions
     from the cupsd: Run (as root) "lpinfo -l -m"
  3. Select a printer/DeviceURI from the first list
     and a printer driver from the second list
     and devise an appropriate queue name.
  4. Set up the queue: Run (as root)
     "lpadmin -p queue_name -v DeviceURI -m printer_driver -E"
     or "lpadmin -p queue_name -v DeviceURI \
         -P /usr/share/cups/model/printer_driver -E"

> Pfff..

Yes.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner