[cups.general] Multi Function Printer for Office

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed Jan 12 09:47:05 PST 2011

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/printer/LaserJet/1/storefronts/CE538A%2523BGJ

> Even if Postscript is supposed to work out of the box, shouldn't I also
> be able to find this printer in the printer database?. It's not there.
>
> Also, the scanner on this printer does not work with SANE, but I guess I
> can live without that, if I'm able to send the scan via email.
>
> I also looked at Xerox WorkCentre 3220:
>
> http://www.office.xerox.com/multifunction-printer/multifunction-
under-30ppm/workcentre-3210-3220/enus.html

> This advertises Postscript 3 compatibility. Is this the same as
> Postscipt 3 support?.
>
> This printer is also not listed in the database. Is this because such
> printers are supposed to just work?.
>
> Is there any place that lists printers with Postscript 3 support?.
>
> Isn't it a valid question to ask why these Postscript 3 printers are not
> in the database?. Just because they are Postscript 3, are they
> guaranteed to work?. Are all PPD's for these printers readily
> available?.
>
> Sorry for all the questions..;)

"PostScript 3 emulation"
or
"PostScript 3 compatibility"
means that the respective printer has a PostScript interpreter built in, but
that this interpreter is not based on an Adobe license.

To my experience, 3rd party interpreters may, in certain specian cases,
behave somewhat different from interpreters based on Adobe license, but for
normal operation, this should not make any difference.

As for the PPDs, the HP PPDs seem to be completely contained in the HPLIP
package, but installing this will give you a huge chunk of things you won't
need ever.
If the vendor does not offer a driver package for Linux, I'd suggest to get
the MacOS X or Winxx package, install that (maybe on a virual machine) and
extract the PPD from there.

Helge