HP CP3525 Color Usage Job Log

Wouter Depuydt narrenschip1 at operamail.com
Fri Jan 14 07:29:21 PST 2011

Hi,

We'd like to monitor color printing usage at our office. The HP CP3525 has a 'Color Usage Job log' page on it's built-in web server. It shows date/user/job/application/pages details for each print job sent from an Windows computer.
However, the User/Job/Application details are empty for print jobs from a CUPS/Linux computer. That means we can't distinguish between linux users/desktops. We are running Debian 'Lenny' with CUPS 1.3.8 and Samba 3.5.8.

I've tried direct connection (JetDirect, socket://PRINTER:9100) and through our windows printer server (smb://USER:PASSWD@SERVER/PRINTER). Both configurations print fine but don't show User/Job/Application details in the 'Color Usage Jog log'.

I've looked at 'lpoption' and 'lpadmin' but couldn't find any related settings. The 'smbspool' man page mentions {job} {user} {title} {copies} options that are (quote) 'presently not used by smbspool'. What options/driver/connection-type do I have to use to make this work?

W;-)