[cups.general] cups 1.4.6 and network printers

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Jan 17 12:09:22 PST 2011

On Monday, January 17, 2011 02:58:01 pm Cynthia did opine:

> Dear Michael,
>
> it seems cupsd stays running all the time:
>    0    20 ??         0:02.46 /usr/sbin/cupsd -l
>
> Cynthia

It is supposed to Cynthia, else you would have to run it every time you
wanted to print something.  It is a background task that uses minuscule
amounts of cpu until there is something for it to do.  This machine
currently has about 160 such tasks running and it is the normal amount for
this machine.  You should have a similar number running in a "top" display.

I also snipped about 8.5 kilobytes of useless html code which your email
agent did not properly mark with mimetype and is mostly junk text to a
text-base email agent.  Please do not post html encoded emails to any
mailing list.  It adds bulk to the message, and if not accompanied by plain
text, will usually be ignored by most folks as it is rather hard to pick
your message out of the html formatting codes it is buried in.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)