[cups.general] cups 1.4.6 and network printers

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Jan 17 17:01:10 PST 2011

On Jan 17, 2011, at 12:09 PM, gene heskett wrote:
> It is supposed to Cynthia, else you would have to run it every time you
> wanted to print something.

Gene,

Normally cupsd is *not* running on Mac OS X, and hasn't for a long time. Instead, we launch-on-demand whenever somebody connects to one of our ports via the launchd service. The only exception is when printer sharing is turned on or you are using CUPS browsing on a client (since cupsd needs to be running to see the printer advertisements from the servers...)

> I also snipped about 8.5 kilobytes of useless html code which your email
> agent did not properly mark with mimetype and is mostly junk text to a
> text-base email agent.  Please do not post html encoded emails to any
> mailing list.  It adds bulk to the message, and if not accompanied by plain
> text, will usually be ignored by most folks as it is rather hard to pick
> your message out of the html formatting codes it is buried in.

WRT HTML email, we don't block or discriminate based on your choice of format. Most email programs can handle HTML just fine these days, and certainly somebody that is asking a question can't be expected to know the preferences of individual mailing list readers.