CUPS - setup and usage?

dickson iswslui at ust.hk
Fri Jan 21 00:29:53 PST 2011

Dear all,

Please help to verify my understanding about usage and setup of CUPS in Red Hat (Linux). Thanks.

Installed package
hal-cups-utils-0.5.2-8
libgnomecups-0.1.12-5
cups-libs-1.1.22-0.rc1.9.10
cups-1.1.22-0.rc1.9
cups-1.1.22-0.rc1.9.10

If I setup a Epson dot matrix printer "abc" in CUPS with filter "zn-TW",

1. a printer set in CUPS can accept any document type (pdf, text with Chinese characters) because CUPS will automatically convert it to ps format. Is it right?

2. Or I must convert these file to ps first and then sent to that printer?

3. under /usr/lib/cups/filter/, a lot of program (texttops, ...etc) are there. What is "option" when use these command? As I try to convert a UTF-8 Chinese character text file to ps, ps is generated but only have English character.