[cups.general] Print to File - Permission of the printed file.

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Jan 21 07:43:58 PST 2011

On Jan 21, 2011, at 4:26 AM, Gerome wrote:
> I am trying to print to a file which is working fine. My issue is the file produced by CUPS has root ownership and as the following permissions
> -rw------- root root mytext.txt
> I would like to know how CUPS can change the permissions of the printed file, using the cupsd.conf file only as we are using the webinterface and I have only access to that cfg file.
> Thanks in advance.

file: devices are only provided for testing. Among other things, there is no control over the permissions or ownership of the file created - as you've seen the current implementation uses the cupsd user (typically root) and mode 0600.

There are several third-party alternatives on the CUPS links page that offer what you want:

    http://www.cups.org/links.php