[cups.general] Behaviour of BrowseRemoteOptions

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Sat Jan 22 21:49:39 PST 2011

On Jan 22, 2011, at 4:01 AM, Ralf Schade wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Am I right?
>
> BrowseRemoteOptions changes the behaviour of all printers I've defined?
> Does it append all options I've added?

Per the documentation, if the value starts with a question mark it will replace any options that are advertised by the server, otherwise they are added to the options advertised by the server.

> I.e.:
> I have some (about 500) remote printers defined with a DeviceURI like:
> http://remote-printer.example.com/.printer
> When I add the BrowseRemoteOptions with ?waitjob=false&waitfoprinter=false
> Is this option than added to ALL printers which I've defined?

No, BrowseRemoteOptions only applies to printers discovered using the CUPS, LDAP, or SLP protocols. Hard-wired remote printers don't get affected, particularly not remote Windows print queues.