[cups.general] weirdest problem yet at the Heskett Ranchette

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 19:59:52 PST 2011

Greetings all;

I am involved with building some linux, actually bash, printing daemons for
the CoCo3's DriveWire environment.  Michael should remember the coco.

I have a sample file, generated by the JVM that DriveWire is written in,
from a text file listed to the DriveWire's version of the /p device on the
coco.

This text file was re-generated as a .png, by the linux JVM with enough
tuning knobs turned and a custom font so that it looks like a dot matrix
printer.

From the cli, or from my daemon script:
lp -d BROTHEHL2140 filename.png
lpr -P BROTHEHL2140 filename.png
gets me 2 identical copys from the printer, but they are about 50% over
sized, and out of both horizontal and vertical synch.

Load this same file up into GQview, and while it displays at the native and
huge resolution of the file, 2550x3300, it is otherwise correct and if I
print it with GQview, it is printed exactly and correctly sized for the
paper, looking exactly like it just came from a fresh head and ribbon on a
DMP-120 printer, but in this case on a Brother HL2140 laser printer.

I can supply "os9 dumps" of the first sector of this file, or the whole
thing by private email if anyone is interested in pursuing this as I'll be
the first to admit I know very very little about PNG's, so I sure would
appreciate some help.

Thanks all.

--
Cheers, Gene