mass deployment?

Niels S. Eliasen nse at delfi-konsult.com
Wed Jan 26 03:27:07 PST 2011

hi guys
I have a problem in getting new servers up and running with CUPS...
Scenario is as follows:
1. I have multiple systems set up with CUPS(fail-over setup), and I
need to transfer/duplicate the system from time to time to identical
systems deployed elsewhere...
What I normally do is shut down the CUPS services, make a tar/zip file
of the CUPS directories, scp the tar/zip files over to the new system,
untar/unzip and then start up the services...
I have however noticed that the cupsd.conf files gets ... not corrupted,
but out-of-sync, and therefore for instance the classes will contain
printers that point to "/dev/null" .... (PS: no implicit classes!)
2. is there some utility/script that will check my printers.conf file?
This problem may be related to problem above... but I am not sure...
Furthermore I would like to check the validity of the file anyhow...
and it appears that the <Printer Name> </Printer> syntax is not always...
"correct" ... but why this is the case is beyond me...
(PS: no manual fiddling!)

thanks in advance for the _always_ good support from the forum!
--

kind regards/mvh
niels