[cups.general] "lpr -l" or "lpr -o raw" not work and "lpr" work

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jan 26 08:29:08 PST 2011

On Jan 26, 2011, at 5:24 AM, Sergio Gelli wrote:
> I'm using Mandriva Linux 2010 and a network printer HP Officejet 4300 series "
>
> When I try to print with the command "lpr-l test.txt" or "lpr-o raw test.txt", the job goes to the printer, but nothing is printed.
>
> Using the command "lpr test.txt ", the job is printed. But do not print with the current code page of the file test.txt
>
> What should I do to the command "lpr-l" work?

The issue is that your printer does not support printing of plain text files, or at least not the character set you are using. The more general purpose solution would be to use a third-party utility to generate a printable file - a2ps and other similar text conversion utilities can be used to print text using arbitrary character sets.