[cups.general] "lpr -l" or "lpr -o raw" not work and "lpr" work

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 15:25:37 PST 2011

On Wednesday, January 26, 2011 06:05:03 pm Sergio Gelli did opine:

[...]

> Sorry.
> All commands have spaces after "lpr"

Your examples in the OP didn't have those spaces. ;)

> If you use these commands (without space) the system responds
> differently.
>
> [Sergio pclinuxos @ ~] $ lpr-a
> bash: lpr-a: command not found
>
> But using lpr -l, anything goes to the printer.
> But nothing is printed.

Do you have more than 1 printer in the queue?  And what is the default
printer?

Also, from the man page:
========
  -l
            Specifies that the print file is already formatted for the
destination and should be sent without filtering.  This
            option is equivalent to "-o raw".
========

If your printer does not speak that files language, it may do nothing, or
go crazy and empty the tray with only a few garbage marks per sheet.

I would only attempt to do that if the printer had its own PS and pdf
processor (bring extra money for that feature), and only for those 2 file
formats. 90% of the printers shipping today need a translation to be
performed between the file, and the almost bit mapped input they expect,
you can't even feed them plain ascii text and expect an "echo Hello
printername>/dev/printer" to have the desired effect.

Cups, if all its filters are also installed, is generally quite good at
making those translations, although I just had it fail to make a good
printout of a quite large .png file that was generated from text by the JVM
facility.  And strangely enough, loading that same file into GQview and
printing it to the same printer with GQview, worked flawlessly.

I posted here about that earlier today, but I fear its probably OT and
being ignored.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)