Install CUPS-1.4.6 in Redhat 4.0?

dickson iswslui at ust.hk
Thu Jan 27 18:41:38 PST 2011

> dickson wrote:
>
> > 1. If I have dbus-devel installed, I don't need to use "--without dbus".
> > Before that, I just install it with "make" and "make install". Does it
> > have any bad effect? Or should I rpmbuild it again without using
> > "--without dbus"?
> >
> > 2. After my first installation, I can call CUPS management webpage.
> > However, there is just a few drivers and no any locale-filter as CUPS
> > 1.1.2. How can I set a locale-filter for this printer? Or does CUPS 1.4.6
> > can determine which locale-filter to use automatically? ( I mean to print
> > Chinese characters in UTF8 format/encoding)
> >
> > 3. I try to print a PDF file and get error with the following message:

> > Starting renderer
> > JCL: <job data>
> >
> > renderer PID kid4=12606
> > renderer command: gs -q -dPARANOIDSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=-
> > -sDEVICE=omni -sDeviceName=Epson_LQ_1050___360_dpi_ -sproperties="
> > Form=iso_a3_297.00x420.00mm InputTray=Tray-2 media=MEDIA_PLAIN
> > Resolution=360x180 printmode=PRINT_MODE_1_ANY dither=dither=DITHER_LEVEL
> > Rotation=Portrait" -
> > foomatic-gswrapper: /usr/local/bin/gs  '-dPARANOIDSAFER' '-dBATCH'
> > '-dNOPAUSE' '-sOutputFile=/dev/fd/3' '-sDEVICE=omni'
> > '-sDeviceName=Epson_LQ_1050___360_dpi_' '-sproperties=
> > Form=iso_a3_297.00x420.00mm InputTray=Tray-2 media=MEDIA_PLAIN
> > Resolution=360x180 printmode=PRINT_MODE_1_ANY dither=dither=DITHER_LEVEL
> > Rotation=Portrait' '/dev/fd/0' 3>&1 1>&2
> > GPL Ghostscript  9.00 (2010-09-14)
> > Copyright (C) 2010 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
> > This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
> > Unknown device: omni
> > Unrecoverable error: undefined in .uninstallpagedevice
> > Operand stack:
> >     defaultdevice
> > tee: standard output: Broken pipe
> >
> > Closing renderer
> > tee: write error
> > renderer return value: 1
> > renderer received signal: 1
> > tail process done writing data to STDOUT
> > KID4 finished
> > Process dying with "Possible error on renderer command line or PostScript
> > error. Check options.", exit stat: 3 Possible error on renderer command
> > line or PostScript error. Check options.

> > I also install the new version of Ghostscript 9.0 manually (not rpm). How
> > can I fix it? Thanks.
> >

> >> Please file a bug about this at:
> >>
> >>     http://www.cups.org/str.php
> >>
> >> Basically we are always installing to /etc/dbus-1 if the directory =
> >> exists rather than honoring the configure option.
> >>
> >> (However, since you *do* have the directory it should not be necessary =
> >> to use --without dbus, just make sure you have dbus-devel installed)

> >> libcupsdriver.so.1.debug libcupsimage.so.2.debug libcupsmime.so.1.debug =
> >> libcupsppdc.so.1.debug
> >> rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <=3D 4.0-1
> >> /tmp/cups-root
> >> still need to run "xxxx" to install it?
> [...]

28-Jan-2011
Dear Helge,

Do you mean that I do not need to rpmbuild CUPS again?
After upgrade CUPS1.4.6, the driver for Epson dot matrix print only has a few choice. Even no any locale-filter can be configured. I just select "Epson 24-Pin Series". Is it OK?

information in "printers.conf"
<Printer isp1_tw>
Info Created by redhat-config-printer 0.6.x
MakeModel Epson 24-Pin Series
DeviceURI socket://isp1.ust.hk:9100
State Idle
StateTime 1296179259
Type 8425476
Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
Filter application/vnd.cups-raster 50 rastertoepson
Accepting Yes
Shared No
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0