CUPS - setup and usage?

H. Blischke HelgeBlischke at web.de
Fri Jan 28 13:40:55 PST 2011

As for your PDF which has the needed font(s) not embedded, I need the PDF (or an equivalent one) to do some specific tests. You said the pdf2ps utility produced a printable PostScript whereas the gs filter invoked by the pdftops filter failed (your log file states, among others, "last OD error: 2", which means "no such file or directory").
Looking into the sources (cups 1.4.6) showed that the options gs is called with slightly differs between pdf2ps (which is a shell script around Ghostscript) and how gs is called from pdftops; I need to try out if these differences in the command line options really account for the different output or if the failing call merely does not find the needed font(s).

As for the text file which prints garbage, the reason probably is that the font MonospaceBold (which is called by the textops filter) does not provide the needed chinese script. But this can be settled by modifying the file
/usr/share/cups/charsets/utf-8 (specifying the right font for the chinese unicode range) and inserting the respective font into /usr/share/cups/fonts.
But, due to the design of the texttops filter, the font must be a plain Type1 font, so this is a bit tricky.

Last but not least, as your system seems to have the needed font(s) installed, if you could send me those, it may be that I could make the necessary modifications.

Helge