CUPS and HP printer

Daniel daniel at dwlamb.com
Sun Jan 30 17:25:37 PST 2011

> Daniel wrote:
>
> > Good day,
> >
> > I am new to Linux after switching from Windows.
> >
> > I am having a challenge with the HP Laserjet 4000 family definition for
> > printing from applications such as OpenOffice.
> >
> > Often I use a paper definition of 5.5 x 8.5 inches.  Someone pointed me in
> > the direction of setting a custom media definition from the command-line
> > under CUPS.  Is it possible to somehow set this as permanent under a
> > definition for my printer?
> >
> > Thanks for taking the time to read this,
> >
> > Daniel
>
> Extend the UI specifications for
> - page size
> - page regeion
> - imageable area
> - paper dimension
> by your 5.5x8.5 in statements
> and mark thes as the default.
>
> Helge

Thank you for thee repllly, Helge.  Now  if I just knew what to do with it. :)  I'm new to CUPS, Linux and all the editing, compiling and other customisations that have to be done on Linux.

Are there any tutorials you can recommend for editing a PPD file?  I assume
that is where I would make these changes you recomment.

Just a newb,
Daniel